Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Kyoto Part II



So, here we are at the temple. As you can see in the pictures it is very beautiful but, a little crowded. Aside from the views, the thing that drives the crowds to this temple is its water. I think the name Kiyomizu comes from the words kiyomeru which means cleanse, purify and mizu which means water. At a particular part of this temple there are three streams of falling water which each grant an attribute to the drinker upon consumption. I think one stream is wisdom, one is health and the other for physical beauty or happiness... something along those lines. There was a long line to get to it plus, I wasn't to interested in pressing my lips against a cup which has probally seen more milage than Paris Hilton. Well, enjoy the pictures of that.

After having our fill of that place, we decided to start back down the streets and back on our self guided tour of Kyoto. At the base of the temple I was suprised to see three monks standing there chanting while begging for money. Thier way of chanting is probally the coolest thing I have ever heard. I had heard recordings of it but, this was the first time I had seen it live. They have these sutras which are written in old Japanese which they speak from memorization all in a low voice at the exact time. It is hard to explain but, I will see if I can find an audio copy of it and post it on the blog somewhere. As soon as I had left the temple, I was a little upset with myself that I hadn't used the camcorder function on our camera. Well, away from the monks and down the tourist streets.

We next headed for an area in Kyoto named Gion which is famous for its Geishas. I imagine that had we been there closer to dusk it would have been a bit more lively but, apparently come night this place is full of Geishas with thier clients going in and out of bars, taxis etc. The only photo I have is of somones backside which has been included in the slideshow.

Next we started to walk to another famous place in Kyoto, the Heian shrine. Heian is the name of a time period in Japanese history. I find this period most fascinating but, not too many people know of it because it was a few hundred years before the Samurai/Ninja time periods Japan is famous for. Here is what I have dug up on the place from the net:

The Heian Jingū (平安神宮) is a Shinto shrine located in Kyoto, Japan. The torii before the main gate is one of the largest in Japan, and the main building, or shaden (社殿), is designed to imitate the Kyoto Imperial Palace.

The Heian Jingū was built in 1895 for the 1,100th anniversary of the establishment of Heiankyō (the old name of Kyoto). The shrine is dedicated to Emperor Kanmu and Emperor Kōmei. The former moved the capital to Heiankyō, and the latter was the last before Emperor Meiji, who moved the capital to Tokyo.

The Heian Jingū hosts the Jidai Matsuri, one of the three most important festivals of Kyoto. The procession of this festival begins at the old Imperial palace, and includes carrying the mikoshi (portable shrines) of Emperors Kanmu and Kōmei to the Heian Jingū.


Now don't that just sound interistin'?

I'll have more pictures and explantions tomorrow.

No comments: