Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dusting off the Website

I almost forgot that this blog existed. Sorry nothing has been posted on it for the past few months. It is not that nothing is going on but, in the event that there is something to write about I usually never find time to do it. Anyways, I'll take a few minutes tonight and write a few thoughts.

Things have been going quite nicely. The previous school year ended the first week of April and after a two week vacation (for the kids, not the teacher) we started again with the 2009 school year. This year I tend to be less busy at both my schools which is rather nice. It gives me more time to take time on my lessons. This year at Shima, I teach an Oral Communication class two times a week to this years newly come sophomores. I also teach a reading class maybe once a month, and a class on internationalism and different cultures(???) three times a week. That class is only nine students and we have a great time. Next week we are going to make pinatas with paper-mache. As with all my classes, I teach that one with a Japanese teacher and so far we have really enjoyed it. One thing we have started doing at all our classes is starting out the lesson by giving the students an easy English riddle. I'll write the riddle on the board, read it out loud and then the teacher will go over the vocabulary and explain any difficult words that the students don't understand. An example of the type of riddles would be something like, "What goes up when the rain comes down?" The answer being an umbrella. The students really seem to enjoy it. At Suisan I teach three Oral Communication classes twice a week to the first years and that is all that I do there. I am only a month into this scheduel but so far I am enjoying it.

A few months ago, at a karaoke party with some of my community English class students jokingly I mentioned that we should all run the upcoming half-marathon. I didn't think they would take me seriously but, the next time I saw them both, about two weeks later, they both had told me they had signed up. I reluctantly did the same thing a few days later. I have been running on and off the whole time I have been here. Deep inside I had wanted to sign up and this officially gave me a reason to do so. I signed up, upped my training and on the day of the half-marathon completed the run in 2 hours 1 minute and 59 seconds. I think I did great. Since about the week leading up to the marathon I am running about 5-6 miles a day, four to five times a week and loving it. Here is another picture of the big event.


You can only see half my face but the guy giving the peace sign is one of my students. We left the third guy in the dust miles before that! Really enjoyed it and this was an opportunity to level up my fitness. Recently too I have been following a program that in six weeks will have me doing 200+ sit ups and 100+ push-ups in one shot. Why you may ask? Why not, I say, why not? Actually, gives me something to do while the Mrs. is off at work. We'll see if I can keep it up.


1 comment:

Kristo said...

Great pictures! I'm glad that you run. Now we have somebody in the family who's athletic. I'll get you a letter man jacket when you get home. I can't remember when I last read your blog. Probably in January when you had your last post.