Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back on Scheduel





Well, after being in this city for nearly four-weeks now, yesterday we finally got the internet in the house. It’s not that we didn’t want it or anything but, in Japan waiting for things to happen after ordering services isn’t too uncommon… especially when you live in a laid-back country area. Last week was a national holiday and as a result was told by the cable company that we would need to wait until that was over until they could come. Beggars can’t be choosers (couldn’t tell you where I heard that one) and when it really comes down to it, we don’t really need the internet. To be honest, I quite prefer being disconnected from the rest of the world.

Anyways, things here are going great. This place may be small but, amazingly enough every time I leave the house I always come back feeling more appreciation for where I live. I need to be at work every morning by eight thirty and leaving the apartment at quarter after and walking still leaves me five minutes with by the time I get there. My commute is short but hot. I think typically the humidity here is like between 80% to 90% and only cools down slightly once night hits. Right now, its 7:30 PM, the sun has set and the current temperature is 84 with 79% humidity (weather.com tells me it Feels Like 94 out there). Anyways, I think I mentioned it before but, from the time I leave my house to the time I get to school I’m usually already sweaty and stinky. I’m fortunate enough to be able to show up to work in shorts, t-shirt and sandals but, on the few occasions I’ve worn a dress shirt/suit it has been a (very stinky) nightmare.

School still doesn’t start for a little under two weeks but already there is pretty constant flow of students all with various things to do. Every day from about nine to about noon clubs are there working either out on the field or in the (non- air-conditioned) building. I’ve already been indicted into a few of the clubs… I’m the only boy in a five member woman’s softball team; I’ve got quite a fan following with the woman’s volleyball team and today attended a few hours of the men’s rugby team (my prerequisite to use the school weight room). I’ve got to learn the rules tonight because I think tomorrow they’re going to make me play. Anyway, a result, not only does it seems like I am losing weight but, I think I’m starting to get some color in my skin. I think the faculty (and maybe even some of the students) are excited to have somebody there who can speak a little Japanese and as a result have been very good to me. I feel very welcome and actually enjoy heading off to work every day. Pretty much we’ve been told to get to know the teachers and I can’t think of a better way that just being there, chilling with them and having a good time.

Now this is only one of two schools I will be teaching at. This one I am at three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday). On Friday, I head to another school about thirty minutes south on the peninsula named Suisan. This school is a specialty school which teaches students maritime related skills. Here the student body is divided into three different area of expertise which spread through their sophomore, junior and senior years. One of these areas teaches the students how to sail and navigate the seas. The school has a few small sail boats and one thirty yard yaut, a bunch of canoes which they use to take these students out and learn the ropes. The next area teaches the students engineering specifically how to fix broken ships and the things on/in them. The third area is aquamarine cuisine preparation. I assume they go out and catch all their own foods. Walking around the grounds outside were large vats full of all sorts of different sea animals and tools used to measure the scientific things you can measure.

Now what aquatic school would be complete without swimming, surfing and scuba? This school has all three. They’ve got this indoor pool that is twelve meters deep and more scuba equipment than you can shake a stick at. Their pool area (its own separate building) has its walls lined with surf boards and wetsuits, scuba tanks, fins, masks, etc. The best part is the swimming teacher told me that the school has its own air compressor so I am free to use whatever/whenever I want. No cost for air or anything. As soon as school starts I am sure I can meet some people who could take me out and teach me the basics… of surfing. For scuba he apparently is a certified instructor who can refresh me and teach Ayumi if she wants to do it. I think I’m going to like it here. This school has a few unusual clubs you won’t find at too many other schools, like surfing, swimming, scuba diving, boxing and, sailing. They even had a few kayaks. I’ll be sure to take my camera with me next time I go.

Our apartment is a little dirty now because we’re still moving in but, once it is clean I’ll take a few snaps and throw them on the website. I’ll also go out tomorrow and try and take some pictures of the town so you can see what it is I’m talking about. We’ve got about two or three miles away on an opposite beach an amusement park which every night of summer vacation displays five minute fireworks show. We have a great unobstructed view from our balcony. I’ve included a few pictures. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Daddy v1.0 said...

I think I posted on your wife's Blog the other week... ¡Bienvenido a Isobe! I taught at both Shima and Suisan from 1998-2000. You'll enjoy the time there. Try to hook up with JETs from Ujiyamada HS in Ise and participate in the Cultural Day sumo tournament if you can.

While I lived in Ugata, I can say the whole area is wonderful. The winter train ride on heated seats, Jusco, Ise-Jingu, the wedded rocks, and the ferry ride to/from Suisan with the 'punk' students. Great memories!