Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Blogging in the Name of Love

Well, here I am again. I can't believe has been a week since I first got here... and since I last wrote. I still don't have the internet at the apartment so getting online must be done at school and because of that I don't have as much time as I'd like to check/write e-mail and update my blog. However, as time permits will continue to do so.

Its been so long since I last wrote in this blog that I can't remember so far what I've written. My coworker from New Zealand (Shelley) and I both got here at the beginning of the school's summer break. As a result, every day we come to an empty school and sit in the teachers’ lounge (which thankfully is one of the few air-conditioned rooms). We each have our own desks and have been given computers. My computer is pretty old and as a result keeps having problems. So far it has been reformatted twice in the one weeks since I've been here. It has the internet and all the essential things I need to make my lessons so, I'm happy. Besides, momma always said "Beggars can't be choosers". But, then she would go on to say "and you son are a loser." The funny thing was I never heard the second part from anyone but her. I think I know now where I get my low self esteem. Yesterday I tried to plug my thumb drive into one of the old, dusty ports on the back and the computer reset and rebooted itself in safe mode. I figure because this isn't my computer I probably shouldn't try to fix it up; especially when all the directions are in technical Japanese.

Ayumi and I are doing our best to make our apartment cute and comfortable. Because we moved into a new apartment, we needed to get new appliances. Originally the school provided us an apartment which we decided to not move into because a) we’ve got a cat and b) sanitary reasons. The place is full of furniture which we are free to take but, when we went and looked at it everything was hammered, stinky, moldy and old. I guess it would be like saying, how about furnishing your new house with old missionary hand-me-downs. I've been back a time or two to see the place they provided and am so glad we are not there. It is on a river and I can only imagine how bad the bugs must be there. Shelley was almost attacked by a bat in her home the other night.

This is a small place but, by train there are a handful of places nearby that we can go to get a little taste of civilization. I've yet to go to the beach but, am only about thirty minutes from one of the most popular in the country for surfing. We went to a city called Ise the other day where we went and visited one of the most famous and oldest Shinto shrines in the country/world. It is said that at this place, the Sun God is suppose to come and occasionally reside. I think. I know it sounds geeky but, this culture fascinates me. It is so fun to be here and be able to actually have a (non-religion) conversation with people.

I've got to go but, will write more soon.

1 comment:

gg said...

?????
love your mother