Monday, October 22, 2007

Darn that cosmic force!

It seems like I always have something going on in my life since getting here worth writing about yet... never find the time to do it. Last week I've got a story to bring a tear to your eye. It all takes place last week; last Tuesday to be exact. Normally on Tuesday and Friday mornings I take off here around twenty to eight to head over to the station to catch the train and then the boat to get down to my school. I don't know what it was but, some cosmic force interrupted the flow of my life to the extent that I found myself leaving the house like seven minutes late; and by cosmic force I mean laziness- sleeping in. Anyways, if i miss this train, I miss the ferry and the next one doesn't come for another hour-forty minutes so I dare not be late.

Well, so here I am at seven forty-seven with four minutes to catch the train. I sprint to the train station darting up the stairs where I meet a student I teach at Shima high school. He tries to talk to me and I tell him I am sorry and must run to catch the train. I purchase my ticket and can hear the sound of my train arriving at the platform, meaning I have only a few seconds before it leaves. Little did I know these next few seconds would be some very short life altering seconds. Well, I grab my ticked and head down the stairs. I don't know what it was but, guessing it was that same cosmic force which held me in bed long past my due time. I could feel the wind blowing through my recently cut hair when suddenly I feel my feet go out from under me. Thankfully I was alone on the stairs and, as far as I am aware the only witness to this blunder. Well, I suddenly found myself flying forward and instinctively rolled into that fetal position my mother had trained me to use so many years ago. Well, I don't know much of what happened but, somehow in the course of about four or five stairs I had somersaulted and landed back on my feet. I'm not aware that I had made any noise during the scuffle but, apparently did because at the bottom of the stairs were two of my students who said they had heard something but didn't know what. I decided to keep my cool and act like nothing had happened. I checked my clothes for holes and jumped onto the train (amazingly I made it!)

I sat on the train processing the happenings of the last few moments when I saw the old lady across from me was staring at my hands. It was at this time that I realized that all the knuckles on my right hand and a few of my left were bleeding. I am sure not knowing that I had just taken a spill down the stairs she probably thought this weird foreigner had just pummeled somebody before jumping on the train. Well, I reached into my bag and the only thing I could find was my face wipes I carry so, wiping away my wounds I had the nice stinging burn thanks to the alcohol. I pulled out my phone to check the time only to find that apparently it was the phone that had broken my fall because it was bent in half and the screen was completely shattered. I could see nothing on the screen but, somehow could still dial Ayumi with my speed dial. Anyways, broke my phone. This was no ordinary phone, I could watch television on my phone, I could listen to MP3's on my phone, I could surf the net and download streaming... this phone was nothing short of a miracle. The good news is that the phone was insured so, I took it to the store and in about two weeks I should get a new one... being that it was my fault (or some unknown cosmic force) I am responsible to pay some money but, that is what happened last week.

No comments: