Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mr. Picker in his Birthday Suit

This morning washing my face I forgot that I had an additional 1 inch of cotton appendage hooked onto the end of my finger and accidentally dragged it through the stream of flowing water. Yesterday the doctor forbade me from getting this finger wet so, I debated for a few minutes and tried to take the bandages off. They were not soaked but, wet enough that if kept on would probably add un-needed moisture to the suture.

I started taking off the layers of bandages (with the intent to have the school nurse re wrap them as soon as I got to school). First glance at the stitched finger tip made me queasy to the extent that I thought I was going to either pass out or puke... possibly both. I layed down for a minute until it passed. However, in my fading grasp of consciousness did manage to count six knots interweaving themselves in and out of my poor finger.

What caused the most trauma is trying to remove the last bit of gauze I found that it was stuck to one of the stitches (either by dried blood or just a snag) and not wanting to mess it up any more just decided to stick my finger under a hair dryer. Well, I wrapped my finger in a face towel and headed off to school. Getting here I met the school nurse in the hall who took me to the nurse station and re-dressed my finger. She asked me if the stitches were of the dissolving type. Looking back at yesterday, I can't remember anyone saying anything about stitch removal. Other than telling me not to get my finger wet the only other thing I can recall is that from today the entire office is on a two week vacation. Great timing to think of this eh?

Well, I know I need these stitches in my finger for at least a week or so, so feeling no rush to remove them am fine waiting. On Tuesday Ayumi and I were invited by the vice principal to go and have a barbecue with some of his friends tonight. I think his main goal was to get us there to sing Beatles songs and relax with his band. After cutting my finger (rendering myself unable to play) I was afraid to tell the v.p., afraid I would suddenly find myself uninvited. He saw me and first thing he said was, "I hear you cut your finger. I guess you can't play the guitar now."
"Yea, I'm really sorry and don't think I can play guitar at your party".
"It's OK, there are going to be like six of us there with guitars so, as long as you can sing Beatles songs, you should be OK." What a relief, tonight Ayumi and I are going to be treated to a feast (meat and sea-food BBQ) all in exchange of me singing a few Beatles tunes with experienced musicians. That is the life.

A few weeks ago, when my wife and I visited him in his home (click here for link) he was really excited that not only could I sing harmonies but could pronounce the lyrics too. He has told me a few times how much he liked singing with me. Well, I think he told his friends and I saw that he prepared a folder full of Beatles songs to sing tonight. Problem is, I know most of the Beatles songs (thanks to my upbringing) however, they want to sing a lot of ones I am not too familiar with, stuff like Dear Prudence, Mother Nature's Son, etc. Beatles' songs are short so, maybe I can cram some albums tonight when I get home before taking off. I'd hate for them to think they've wasted thier food on me.

I am sitting in the school library, typing with all 9 of my working fingers watching the school girls volley-ball team write thier yearlong goals on a giant flag. I have been here for about fourty-five minutes and more than anything have just seen a lot of goofing off. Its fun, as long as there is air conditioning.

No comments: