Monday, August 18, 2008

Well That Was a Bad Idea

Looking at the date of my last post, it has nearly been a week since I updated this thing. Comparatively speaking to how it has been in the past, I really am in no position to complain so, I will stop there. My reason for not writing however is two fold- both of which I will now explain.

Reason One- Last week, Ayumi and I had such a fun time at the beach with her family that we decided last Friday to head out again. Just she and I. I took the day off of work and the two of us left by bike around eight thirty. We knew before-hand that it would take about forty-five minutes to get there so, ended up getting to the beach somewhere between nine-thirty and ten. We had stopped by at the convenience store which is about the half-way marker, filling up our bag with goodies. Well, it was a wonderful day at the beach. We were there until about maybe one-thirty. The time spent running between our giant umbrella and the water. Realizing that whatever amount of sunscreen I had put on was probably not enough, it seems like most of the afternoon was spent constantly applying it only to have it be washed off every time we went into the water.

Now the beach is a pretty cool place. Not cool as in spiffy but, cool as in temperature. Sure the sand is hot but, being a beach there is a constant, cool wind blowing in from the sea. As a result, you really don't get too hot. When we got bored, and started thinking about the bike trip back (and the unforgiving sun over our head) we packed up and spent the bike ride home scrambling from shady spot to shady spot. I could literally feel my skin burning. Well, as is normal any time you get a sunburn, you don't realize the severity until the next day. We both woke up Saturday morning reed at beets. (Although my face, legs and arms are a delightful dark-brown hue :P ) In addition to being red, it seemed like the skin underneath was swollen. We spent the day indoors, trying not to move applying ointment to each other while moaning at the same time. It is now Tuesday and in spite of my belly and back being really itchy, today is pretty bearable.

That was reason one.

Reason Two- I am attempting to do the impossible. I am going to try and take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test level 1 (1 as in being the hardest). I am not hesitant to state that I am in no way prepared for this test, in any way, shape or form but heck, if that overrated swimmer can win 8 gold medals, why can't I do this? Well, I am sure he actually practices swimming but, that's besides the point. I have spent the last two (count 'em 1..2..) days, studying, and boy is my brain sore. Problem is though, the more I study the more I realize just how crappy my Japanese really is. I can hold up a conversation pretty well but, my reading/writing is pretty far off so, that is my goal between now and mid-December. Wish me luck.

I know you are asking yourselves, "So AJ, with such a tight schedule, how on earth is he finding the time to write in your blog?" The answer to which is... I'm taking a break so leave me alone!

I really want to watch Seinfield.

1 comment:

gg said...

Sounds like you had a great trip to the beach! Despite the burn and the long trip home. Hope you are feeling better now, by the way.... how is the peel?