Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm a doctor gym... not a pretzel!


Believe it or not, I actually went to the gym today. I tossed and turned all last night (can't remember what but know I saw some pretty tripped up dreams) and finally around five-thirty decided to drag myself out of bed. From the very moment I opened my eyes the constant heavy thought (depression) that I had started a new commitment today was on my mind and I knew I had to go to the gym or else I'd end up hating myself. After looking over a few "clubs" last night I decided this morning that I was just going to sign up at the community rec center's gym. That way I knew each time I went I wouldn't have to dodge some lame salesman trying to get me to invest in twelve months for low, low monthly fees. I bought a month membership for $29.00 which gives me unlimited access to the weight room but, later went back to upgrade it to the $40.00 package which allows me to attend the various weekly exercise classes (yoga, spinning, Pilate's, etc.) Ayumi and I are going to have a contest to see who can be in better shape next time we meet. I've got some way to go so, it'll be interesting to see where I end up in a month. Well, tomorrow is day two. Oh yea, dad is coming with me tomorrow.

So the other day at the library I checked out a book titled Stretching. From what I've read, the only two things that are going to fix my knee are stretching and weight training. Apparently Mie has some pretty nice beaches and I've actually gotten quite excited thinking about running up and down them. Won't turn out very well if I'm a cripple. Anyways, last night before I went to bed, I spent about twenty minutes and did a dozen or so different stretches for the legs, lower back and hips (the areas I need). After stretching and standing up, I felt like a new man! I couldn't believe how good (and loose) it felt. This morning, before heading off to the gym I did the recommend stretches for weight lifting. I'd like to think I lifted pretty hard today yet, don't feel as much pain as I had in the past (on day one). Not only that but, it felt really good to stretch. A new hobby..? Stretching..? I've always wanted to be flexible. We'll see how this develops.

Usually when I start exercising (with a goal in mind) I usually feel better instantly. Where last night I was depressed and upset about my health slipping from my hands, here I am a day later (only been to the gym once) and already I feel 100% better. Even though it was day one, I feel like I am doing something. Its a natural placebo. Just think how I'll feel if I keep this up for a month. A few years back I had a thought of how to balance the individual. There are three areas all which need constant care: Physical, Mental and Spiritual... and by spiritual I don't imply everyone needs to believe in the same thing I do but have a certain creed/way of life they choose to give them some direction. For one person that may be religion and for another it could be yoga or vegan ism. Physical is to be in good shape, eating right, exercising etc., and finally with mental one should always strive to challenge themselves mentally by studying, learning new language... sudoku, etc. I know it sounds hokey but, it sounded good then and it sounds good now. Well, enough blabbing today, lets keep our fingers crossed that I make it to the gym tomorrow.

No comments: