Friday, July 27, 2007

I Flew All The Way To Denver and All I Got Was This Dumb T-Shirt!


So, today was the big day. Kind of sad to be honest. I thought I'd be strong and make it through the day without shedding any tears but, even the mighty oak must too one day fall. Nothing serious but, when I was spending the last few minutes with my folks before getting in the ridiculously long line to get my carry-ons checked, I got a little misty eyed and had a little bit of a cry. Yea, I miss everyone already. However, after that brief little episode, I bucked up and went on my way. As with anything in life, the hardest part is the first step. Now I'm about twelve steps into this and so far, so good.

Upon getting on the plane I found that I had seated myself next to another fellow who is also doing the JET. When we had all situated ourself, we found that we had all kind of (unintentionally) clustered ourselves together. We spoke and the hour and a half plane ride seemed like nothing. Upon landing, we were driven to the hotel, given some time to relax and then off again to our first (of many) orientation meetings. It was informative, information in JET in general, re-entry permits, what to expect tomorrow when traveling and so forth. We also received our passports and baggage tags to stick on our suitcases to identify us as JETS. A handful of us decided to go back to the hotel to drop off our passports and then go out to get a bite to eat. As soon as we left, we were bombarded with the heaviest rainstorm I've ever seen (in Denver). It was crazy! Exposure outside for even a few seconds would drench the poor traveler. We got as far as we could seeking shelter from one building awning to another. I not content with getting my new suit jacket wet (and ruined) went inside a store and upon picking up a $.99 item asked if I purchased this if I could get the biggest bag they had. I got some lame key chain and two giant bags. I ran back to the crowd I was traveling with (5 others) and told everyone to roll up and put into the bags their jackets. We all did so and I am glad we did because our jackets stayed dry as a bone. (HERO)

The purpose of this expedition was to grab a bite to eat before we had to be back for the orientation. By the time this all rolled out, it was too late to eat so we went to this little shindig, sopping wet and tired. We were the first ones there but, slowly and surely people started rolling in... sopping wet. The purpose of this meeting was to meet the consulate general and to eat cheeses while we all sipped on wine and got to know each other. I listened to the speeches, had some cheese, mingled (so far I am the only one going to Mie that I've met) and then slipped out. On the way home I stopped by a bookstore where I purchased a copy of both "Jurassic Park" and "The Pillars of the Earth". I suppose I'll read them. I've had this poem stuck in my mind the past few days:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments: