Thursday, July 5, 2007

To the Reunion


This morning we're heading up to a family reunion for my mom's side of the family. Pretty excited as that side of the family is particularally fun. Also, the last time I'll see a lot of them for a long time... However, I only see them once every few years anyways so, not that big of a deal. I haven't been writing about it but, I've been really diligent in exercising the past couple of days. Yesterday being the fourth, the gym was closed but, dad and I still did out lower body exerciese in his office with dumbells. My legs are more sore today than they've been in a long time. Also, I've been tracking my weight and I'm down about 4.5-5 lbs since I started. Not trim but, still looking better than before.

Ayumi is in Japan and all is well. Hershey our cat apparently had a hard time with the travel, along with being in a new place I think she is probally in doki-doki mode (panic mode). Ayumi tells me however that she is adjusting and finally relaxing, never far from Ayumi's side. I just hope she dosen't freak out when we move again at the end of the month.

I've been in contact with my predecessor in Shima who has been giving me information little-by-little over the course of the past few days and here is what I know so far:
-I teach at two schools. One 3 days a week, the other 2. I get to take a ferry to school. Probally expensive.

-The apartment we are going to live in is owned by the school and is apparently where all the other teachers live too. Bedroom, two tatami (bamboo matted) rooms, dining, kitchen. Sounds pretty big but, also said that it is old... with a mildew problem in the summer. Lots of bugs too.

-Shima is like the resort town of all the people who live in Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya and other nearby cities. The beaches (as you can see in the pictures from the prior posts) are white sandy with blue water (I would assume though that those pictures have been digitally enhanced). There are also a lot of onsens (public baths with natural spring water) in the town so, a pretty relaxing spot. Perfect for a lazy dude like myself. Ayumi and her dad are going to be heading down there this weekend to check out the place. Nobody in her family has been there so, I think it will be fun for all. Hopefully, when I get back from the reunion on Saturday I'll have some fun pictures to look at. Also, Ayumi is going to see if she can meet my predecessor and maybe look at the apartment. The biggest concern is whether or not we can have Hershey there. If yes, we'll probally move in. If no we can either smuggle her in (as reccomended by my predecessor) or we'll move somewhere else (something we were planning on doing anyways). Time will tell.

Ayumi has started a blog to document life in Japan... at least until she says I get over there and can take it over. Expect fun pictures to be found there. The address is:
http://kaeruz.blogspot.com/

No comments: